Business & Economics
- © Vilnius University, 2002-2004
- © Brno University of Technology, 2002-2004
- © University of Latvia, 2002-2004
Policy Measures to Implement Kyoto Commitments in Lithuanian Energy Sector
ABSTRACT. The article deals with the Lithuanian commitments under the Kyoto protocol of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and analyzes the implications of these commitments on Lithuanian economy. The main issues addressed in the article is related to the greenhouse gas emission limits imposed by the Kyoto which will be necessary to follow by reducing fossil fuel burning in Lithuania. So the main aim of the article to analyze the possibilities of Lithuania to implement Kyoto requirements and also to define additional measures to comply with the Kyoto commitments if needed, which is detailed in the following research tasks:
- to construct baseline scenario of its future development of Lithuanian energy sector seeking to take into account possibilities of Lithuania to comply with the UNFCCC and Kyoto requirements under the conditions of deregulated energy market;
- to design the CO2 mitigation scenario including additional CO2 mitigation measures to comply with Kyoto requirements;
- to analyse international and local climate change mitigation measures;
- to review institutional and organisational structure for climate change mitigation in Lithuania.
KEYWORDS: Kyoto protocol, climate change mitigation policy, Lithuania, energy sector, policy measures.